Tuesday, August 18, 2009

So I have been in Pune three days now, and I can say that it is as amazing as I imagined. There are crowds of people, and side shops, and motorcycles that intimidate you as you cross the street. Women with rich skin, dark hair, and colorful saris stroll past. I feel a rush of girl power when I see a women in traditional garb zoom past on a motorcycle. Honking has become the soundtrack to my life ever since I have arrived. Here, people honk to communicate (get out of the way!...I'm turning...I'm backing up....I'm a few centimeters away from hitting you so look out!) Its not like back in the states where a honk is considered a rude insult. I start out by describing the streets because it is the bulk of this city, its lifeblood and charm.

A last night was alot of fun. Most of us ACM students went to a cafe as night fell. CCD (Cafe Coffee Days). Its modern and sheek. We walked in and sat upstairs on some couches with views overlooking the street. This city really comes alive at night (not that it isn't during the day). Its similar to the excitment you get when you are outside at night in New York. Its an Indian vibe, and there IS a beat to the streets...a certain rhythm, although I haven't pin pointed it yet. Anyway, it was nice looking out as we sat. The waiters handed us pretty sizable menus with delectable iced mocha, frothy chocolate, creamy dessert drinks...completely Western. CCD is basically a starbucks. Nice Bollywoood music (I learned today that the word "Bollywood" is not used in India...they say "Hindi" instead) played in the background, and a large flat screen T.V. behind us displayed black and white images of people dancing, and some sort of Indian version of race care driving. Anyway, so a couple of us get ready to order, and the waiter says that actually they are only currently serving three things on the menu due to a shortage of ingredients...snapple, and two flavors of soda! Why the menus then? But I soon realized it was probably so we could see what they served. I can't wait to go back. I can tell we will be at CCD often!

I'm really looking forward to getting to know the city. This will be my home for the next four months! India. My home. Sounds kinda nice.

Well, I will write later!

1 comment:

  1. Sydney,
    It is so nice to hear that you've made it safely to India. It seems like you are loving it already. I am very happy for you. Keep us posted :)
    <3 Noemi.

    ReplyDelete